Do You Want to Write a Great Common App Essay? Get Started Now.
by Chuck Bates, CCFC on Jul 16, 2021
If you (or your student) are a rising senior, college is likely on your mind. You may even know The Common App is available on August 1. But did you know that The Common App essay prompts are already available? That’s right! There are seven topics you can start working on to create an impactful essay that can help get you into your dream school.
Common App essays are limited to 650 words or about one page. More than anything, your writing should answer the question being asked while focusing on you: Who are you? Why are you unique? What matters to you? Why should the school care?
Here are the 2021-2022 essay prompts:
- Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
- The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
- Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome?
- Reflect on something that someone has done for you that has made you happy or thankful in a surprising way. How has this gratitude affected or motivated you?
- Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.
- Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?
- Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you've already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design.
For questions about the Common App essay prompts or how to pay for college, please schedule 30 minutes with Chuck Bates, CCFC here